1. Use Mother Nature and plant some trees or shrubs. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, if you shade your air conditioning unit, it will work about 10% more efficiently. So go green and stay cool!
2. Curtains can help! It's always said during wintertime that the you lose a lot of heat through your windows. Well, a lot of heat tries to enter through your windows in the summertime. If your windows have curtains, they can help shield the inside of your home from the the sun's rays (and heat).
3. Keep the temperature up. Setting your thermostat around 78 degrees Fahrenheit will save you in energy costs as well. This easy one will save you about 10% off your bill.
4. Use those fans! Ceiling fans are meant to be used! Turn those on and let them do their job of circulating the cooler air through your home.
5. Keep your unit maintained. When it comes to faulty equipment, a less efficient AC can result in a higher electric bill. Hire a professional to clean out the filter and make sure that it is level. Yes, an AC unit that is not sitting on level ground can be less efficient.
6. Get a new, more energy-efficient unit. This tip definitely has a higher upfront cost, but in the long run, it will save you money. Air conditioning units from decades ago are probably not working nearly as efficiently as newer models.
Don't be caught without proper cooling this summer! If you are concerned about the health of your commercial or residential HVAC system, give Shakley Mechanical a call! We have HVAC maintenance services provided in the Mansfield and Ashland areas, and surrounding communities.